New Testament Canon Formation
• Jesus chose 12 apostles & taught them for 3 years.
• 11 of them went on to spread his message.
• 9 different writers constructed the 27 NT books.
• NT originally written in Greek.
• First scrolls, then collections, lastly 1 volume
• Most of NT writings were letters to local churches.
• Others were written to specific individuals.
• Yet others for broader audiences.
1 Peter (Asia)
• Geo diversity made it tough for early churches to immediately obtain all copies of early church letters.
• Limitations: communication, travel & persecution.
• Paul’s letters were almost immediately regarded as authoritative. (2 Peter 3:15-16)
• NT books were more difficult to confirm than OT.
• Some other books questioned & accepted (James & Hebrews, 2 Peter);
others rejected (Shepherd of Hermas & Gospel of Peter).
• We can be certain the current list is 100% right.